From: JV2work@aol.com [mailto:JV2work@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2000 10:19 PM
To: email@example.com; Luv2beDVS@aol.com; DIALMITCH@aol.com; Abeng1@aol.com; RAND.MARTIN@sen.ca.gov; WhtLaceSu@aol.com
Subject: Re: DB ON JV CAMPAIGN TAKING LEAD ON INTERNET
HI DAVID - I'M STILL CATCHING UP - -
In a message dated 2/22/2000 9:17:42 PM, JV2work writes:
PERHAPS THE MOST PROFOUND & COMPELLING OF THE COMPONENTS IS THAT BEING COMPOSED BY MY INVENTOR GENIUS' FRIEND DAVID BOULTON -
John, I can't tell you how good it felt to think together again and to be seen by you - remember myself back into myself through you -
YES, DAVID, OUR REUNION ON MAUI WAS FINE!
however... I am uncomfortable with words like 'Genius' - I am the slowest learner I know of - I think your appreciation of me is unique and informed by a level of sync between us that few others share - I think I am narrowly creative in generally relevant ways (to our human condition) but not very good at applying what I can see and create (not finished though)
AH, DAVID, METHINKS YOU MAY BE TOO MODEST - - - YOU CERTAINLY AREN'T THE SLOWEST LEARNER I KNOW OF!!!!
'I think (MY COMPONENT) does have significant polictical thunder and that the time to release the idea is very soon.'
WE'VE GOT TO FIGURE OUT WHAT'S MOST PROPITIOUS TIME FOR ME TO RELEASE?
Thanks again friend -
YOU'RE WELCOME, DAVID - MY PLEASURE!
MAHALO - ALOHA - JOHN
From: SenJohnV@aol.com [mailto:SenJohnV@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2000 9:41 PM
To: firstname.lastname@example.org; JV2work@aol.com
Subject: A 'DIGITAL DIVIDE' PROPOSAL FOR BILL BRADLEY
RATIONALE: BILL BRADLEY HAS DONE BEST IN HIS CAMPAIGN FOR THE PRESIDENCY BY CALLING ALL AMERICANS TO HIGH PRINCIPLES AND GRAND GOALS - AND HAS DONE PERHAPS HIS WORST BY NOT YET SUFFICIENTLY GROUNDING THOSE HIGH GOALS, TRANSLATING & TYING THEM TO PRACTICAL PROGRAMS WHICH TOUCH, INSPIRE AND ENLIST ALL AMERICANS IN THEM PURSUIT & FULFILLMENT.
ANALYSIS: THE ISSUE WHICH HAS THE SINGLE MOST GREATEST CAPACITY TO BUILD ON THAT BEST, + ENGAGE & OVERCOME THAT WORST IS (THE ISSUE OF) 'OUR DIGITAL DIVIDE;'
- IT INCORPORATES BB'S MAJOR ISSUES: ADDRESSING RACISM, ENDING POVERTY, SHARING PROSPERITY, IMPROVING EDUCATION (K-12 + COMMUNITY COLLEGES), ASSURING ACCESS TO TECHNOLOGY, UPGRADING JOB QUALIFICATIONS - ALTOGETHER DEEPER PROSPERITY FOR US ALL.
ARGUMENT: THERE'S NO ISSUE MORE CRITICAL TO OUR FUTURE WELLBEING - BOTH TO OUR NEW ECONOMY & TO OUR NEW DEMOGRAPHY - THAN 'BRIDGING OUR DIGITAL DIVIDE;' + THERE'S NO ISSUE WHERE GOOD POLICY & GOOD POLITICS MORE CLEARLY CONVERGE.
PROPOSAL: BILL BRADLEY MAKE 'BRIDGING OUR DIGITAL DIVIDE' A CENTRAL PROMINENT PRACTICAL COMPONENT OF HIS PLATFORM BEGINNING RIGHT NOW - ESPECIALLY AS HEART OF HIS PRESENTATION AT CALIFORNIA STATE DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION HERE IN SILICON VALLEY THIS COMING WEEKEND.
STRATEGY: TO MAKE THIS CASE IN A WAY THAT IS CLEAR, GROUNDED, PRACTICAL, COMPELLING REQUIRES SMART ATTENTION TO AND UTTER CLARITY ON 2 ESSENTIAL
- DESCRIBING 'OUR 'DIGITAL DIVIDE' SUCH THAT IT'S CLEARLY RECOGNIZED BY EVERYBODY (HAVES AS WELL AS HAVE-NOTS) AS OUR NEED, BEING IN ALL OF OUR BEST SELF INTEREST TO ATTEMPT NOW TO 'BRIDGE OUR DIGITAL DIVIDE;' + - DESCRIBING/PROPOSING A CONCRETE CREDIBLE PRACTICAL MODEL FOR ADDRESSING IT IDENTIFY OUR NEED, OUR CHALLENGE: OUR SOCIETY IS RAPIDLY SHOWING SIGNS OF GROWING DIVIDED BETWEEN THOSE WHO ARE ANGLO/ASIAN (WITH EDUCATION + COMPUTERS + BETTER JOBS) & THOSE WHO ARE LATINO/BLACK (WITH LESS OF EACH & ALL OF THOSE);
- OUR ECONOMY IS WHITE HOT, WITH UNEMPLOYMENT AT NEAR ALL TIME LOW - YET IT'S CONTINUING TO PROSPER IS THREATENED - MOSTLY BY LACK OF PROPERLY EDUCATED WORK FORCE;
- IN SILICON VALLEY UNEMPLOYMENT IS DOWN TO 2%, MORE THAN 40,000 JOBS GO UNFILLED FOR LACK OF SKILLED WORK FORCE, HITECH IS RECRUITING WORLDWIDE - COSTING HITECH HERE (PER JOINT VENTURE SILICON VALLEY NETWORKS' 1999 KEARNEY REPORT - $3BILLION/YEAR (FOR ADVERTISING, RELOCATING, REEDUCATING, ETC.);
- AT VERY SAME TIME CHILDREN OF COLOR IN SANTA CLARA VALLEY (NOW CONSTITUING 62% OF OUR PUBLIC SCHOOL ENROLLMENT) ARE NOT BEING PREPARED TO QUALIFY FOR THOSE JOBS, SUCH THAT LA RAZA ROUNDTABLE CHAIR VICTOR GARZA ASKED (ME)
PUBLICLY, 'HOW COME YOU'RE CREATING ALL THOSE GREAT JOBS ON THE WEST SIDE, AND OUR KIDS AREN'T GETTING ANY OF THEM?'
IDENTIFY/PROPOSE WORKING MODEL - FOR 'BRIDGING OUR DIGITAL DIVIDE':
- AS IS OFTEN THE CASE - CALIFORNIA, HOME OF THE HITECH (+ RACE + GENDER) REVOLUTION/S, 1ST FACES AMERICA'S NEW CHANGES & CHALLENGES, MOVES 1ST TOWARD
OWNING, ADDRESSING, MEETING THEM;
- JOINT VENTURE SILICON VALLEY NETWORK IS A 10-YEAR OLD PUBLIC/PRIVATE NON-PROFIT PARTNERSHIP (BUSINESS, GOVERNMENT, LABOR + EDUCATION) WHICH EFFECTIVELY GUIDES SILICON VALLEY TOWARD BECOMING THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE AND
TO WORK - THE PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE EMERGING MODEL OF REGIONAL COLLABORATION WHICH IS SUSTAINING OUR CALIFORNIA ECONOMY AND PROSPERITY;
- THE JOINT VENTURE BOARD AT ITS SEPTEMBER MEETING ADOPTED IN CONCEPT AS ITS THEMATIC PROJECT FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS 'BRIDGING OUR DIGITAL DIVIDE - ASSURING SILICON VALLEY A HOME-GROWN WORKFORCE FOR THE 21ST CENTURY;'
- AT ITS NOVEMBER MEETING THE BOARD UNANIMOUSLY ADOPTED THIS PROJECT, WITH ITS 1ST PHASE TO BE ANNOUNCED PUBLICLY FEBRUARY 15: CREATION OF A HIGH LEVEL BLUE RIBBON TASK FORCE TO ANALYZE OUR DIGITAL DIVIDE & WHO CONSTITUTES IT, IDENTIFY ITS ROOT CAUSES & IDENTIFY BEST PRACTICES AROUND OUR NATION FOR ADDRESSING IT;
- THE TASK FORCE IS DIVERSE AS TO RACE & GENDER AND INCLUDES CEO OF TECHNET, CHAIR OF BOARD OF CISCO, VICE-PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT, HIGH SCHOOL & COMMUNITY COLLEGE STUDENTS, COMMUNITY COLLEGE PRESIDENT, AND MORE);
- THE CONCLUSIONS OF THE TASK FORCE ANALYSIS WILL LEAD TO THE DESIGN OF A COMPREHENSIVE PRACTICAL ALL-SECTOR SILICON VALLEY STRATGETIC ACTION PLAN, AND THEN TO ITS TRANSLATION INTO PRACTICAL PROGRAMS FOR ITS IMPLEMENTATION;
- SUCH PROGRAMS WILL CERTAINLY INCLUDE THE 3 MOST PRIMARY STAKEHOLDERS: BUSINESS/HITECH & THE COMMUNITIES OF COLOR & THE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS;
- SUCH PROGRAMS ARE LIKELY TO INCLUDE:
- SHORT-TERM: IDENTIFYING & MATCHING UP PROMISING EMPLOYEES OF COLOR WITH UP-THE-OLINE JOBS, +
- MID-TERM: EDUCATIONAL REFORM/IMPROVEMENT - INCLUDING MENTORSHIPS,
APPRENTICESHIPS, SUMMER JOBS, PLACEMENT OF COMPUTERS; +
- LONG-TERM: ADDRESSING THE CULTURAL INTERFACE BETWEEN HITECH &
COMMUNITIES OF COLOR.
BILL BRADLEY PROPOSAL: I WANT TO PROVIDE ALL AMERICANS THE KIND OF LEADERSHIP THAT - ESPECIALLY IN THESE PROSPEROUS TIMES - THINKS BIG:
- IDENTIFIES OUR MOST PRESSING CHANGES & CHALLENGES;
- OWNS THE PROBLEMS AND TAKES RESPONSIBILITY FOR COPING WITH THEM;
- CALLS ALL KEY STAKEHOLDERS TO RECOGNIZE IT'S IN THEIR INTEREST TO ACT NOW;
- RECOGNIZES COLLABORATION IS THE ONLY HOPE FOR SUCCESS IN COPING WITH THESECHALLENGES;
- ENLISTS ALL KEY STAKEHOLDERS IN A PARTNERSHIP IMBUED WITH THE AMERICAN 'CAN-DO SPIRIT'; +
- PULLS US ALL TOGETHER TO TAKE ON THESE CHANGES & CHALLENGES HEAD-ON, DESIGN
& IMPLEMENT COMPREHENSIVE A STRATEGIC ACTION PLAN + PRACTICAL PROGRAMS TO SOLVE THEM. AS IS OFTEN THE CASE, SILICON VALLEY IS ALREADY POINTING THE WAY FORWARD FOR US.
THERE'S NOTHING STANDING IN THE WAY OF OUR MEETING OUR 'DIGITAL DIVIDE' CHALLENGES EXCEPT OUR OWN LACK OF WILL, LACK OF LEADERSHIP, + OUR OWN LACK OF COLLABORATION -
- I WANT TO BECOME THE PRESIDENT WHO INSPIRES US TO MAKE UP FOR THOSE LACKS, AND LEADS US TO REALIZING THE AMERICAN DREAM ALL OVER AGAIN, FOR EACH AND
EVERY ONE OF US & OUR FELLOW AMERICANS.
To: JV2work@aol.com; Martin@larc-inc.com; RAND.MARTIN@sen.ca.gov; Abeng1@aol.com; SUE.NORTH@!EN.CA.GOV; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; LPSAIL@aol.com; email@example.com; Mccpatrick@aol.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; JHEIDER@aol.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; Daniel7071@aol.com; DIRKFULL@aol.com; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; RALIPPIN@aol.com; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; DeanOrnish@aol.com; email@example.com
Subject: LET'S REVISIT DB'S 'HOW TO PROPOSE ISSUES'
DB'S ADVISORY RE HOW TO PROPOSE ISSUES (context was Bradley proposal above)-
I like what you are driving at, though I would represent your #3 (the divide) as an outgrowth of being irresponsible to the implications of #1 (the technology) as they are inseparable and separating them creates more ambiguity than clarity.
As to the discussion of things he will be 'coming out' with - I wouldn't discuss them yet. Focus on articulating his strengths and concurrently move rapidly toward making the emerging proposals concrete. I think he's very much lacking in the kind of galvanizing visions & concrete proposals necessary to be anything more than VP and talking about talking about them rather than putting them forth will just turn people off. I would assume he has a limited number of trips to the microphone and make each one count.
I think this is the time for you to send out the humanistic logician in you - ground your arguments within the intersections between political realties and inspired human leadership - 'toward a healthier state' done nationally and with its ground in supporting individuals in unfolding - learning to be - their authentic selves in the context of family and local community and digitally mediated nationality. You don't have to send him a book - just enough to evidence to him the range of your thought and its relevance to the country.
If I were you I would make a case for being a vision-partner with him - establish in his mind the value of being in frequent wide ranging and deep dialogue with you. You two could both benefit from stepping into the experiences of the other and being creative together. Invite him into the relationship you want and if he is too busy or can't read in your words why he should then quit wasting your precious time and move on to where your talents can best serve the causes that inspire you. >>
From: JV2work@aol.com [mailto:JV2work@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2000 10:33 PM
To: DBOULTON@implicity.com; HPLOTKIN@plotkin.com;
RAND.MARTIN@sen.ca.gov; Luv2beDVS@aol.com; JV2work@aol.com;
Subject: PERHAPS A WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY OPENING - - -
DAVID - HAL -
UP TIL NOW I'VE GOTTEN NO INDICATION OF INTEREST FROM THE BILL BRADLEY HQ'S -
TO ANYTHING WE'VE PROPOSED, TALKED OF - BEGINNING WITH HAL'S SUGGESTION FOR
WEEKLY ON-LINE APPEARANCES, MADE TO DOUG BERMAN (NATIONAL CHAIR) & GALE
KAUFMAN (STATE MANAGER) LAST OCTOBER.
ON THURSDAY HOWEVER I GAVE MY NEW CALIFORNIA CAMPAIGN PROPOSAL BOTH TO
ERNESTINE BRADLEY + TO JOHN ROOS (CALIFORNIA CHAIR), INCLUDING YOUR VARIOUS
SUGGESTIONS. WHO'S KNOWS WHETHER THERE'S RESPONSE.
THEN YESTERDAY I GOT A CALL FROM TOM BRIDLE - HEAD OF POLICY DEVELOPMENT RE
TECHNOLOGY (+ DIGITAL DIVIDE) - FOR BRADLEY CAMPAIGN IN NEW JERSEY HQ'S.
I DROPPED YOUR SEVERAL IDEAS ON HIM - HE GOT THEM, EACH & ALL, IMMEDIATELY,
GOT EXCITED, IS GOING TO TRY TO GET THEM CONSIDERED, EVEN ADOPTED.
HAL - HE LIT UP WITH YOUR WEEKLY 'BILL BRADLEY - ON-LINE - ON THE LINE'
DAVID - HE RIGHT AWAY RECOGNIZED SIGNIFICANCE OF YOUR 'DIGITALIZING
GOVERNMENT' + YOUR 'LEADING THE WAY TO UNIVERSAL INTERNET INFRASTRUCTURE (A
LA A PUBLIC UTILITY).
I ENCOURAGE YOU EACH TO DIRECTLY EMAIL HIM DETAILS OF EACH OF YOUR PROPOSALS
- AT TBRIDLE@BILLBRADLEY.COM - PLEASE CC ME.
IT MAY WELL BE TOO LATE FOR THESE EAST COASTERS TO LET DOWN THEIR GUARD AND
LISTEN TO ANYBODY ELSE WITH ANYTHING TO SAY - & IT'S WORTH HOPING AGAINS HOPE
I THANK YOU, I WISH YOU WELL -